Tuesday, February 15, 2005

What's a Girl to Do...

With un-mendable garments that may or may not be in style any more? Why, scavenge for fabric, of course! What better than to convert the old and unusable into something new and fun?

And what could be more fun than a new handbag? :) Alright, I admit it - I have a strange obsession with purses. While I generally carry one rather large purse (I always lug a quart of water around with me, and it has to fit in my purse - and a quart of water is no light thing - it weighs two pounds and isn't exactly compact!) - I like small fun purses too. And rather than go out and spend all kinds of money on purses, I've decided to start making my own...and once I get good at it, I may even start selling 'em - that way, I can shamelessly indulge in enriching my fabric stash!

This little corduroy number with festive lining is my first run. Very simple in design with a single unzippered pocket. I've already got some design changes in mind to try out for future models. In case you're wondering, the base of the bag is about 4 1/2 inches by 6 inches and I'd guess it's about 6 inches deep. It's safe to say I'm getting to be on better terms with my sewing machine :) Though I'm still sticking with straight seams just to be safe!

2 comments:

Creative Genius? said...

Oh they look great! Now that I am sewing (forced to in order to get the blanket done) I was kicking around the idea of making myself a purse too....

I can't wait to see yours in person!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I think I remember those pants!

(Look! I don't have to post anonymously any more!)