Friday, January 21, 2005

mmmm....Pie.

Weebl (and Bob) say it quite well :)

What kind of Pie? Green Chile Apple. That's right - a pie with a little kick from a little bakery in Albuquerque, New Mexico called SeƱor Pie - sorry, they don't have a website (that I could locate anyway). After hearing about the pies on NPR, we decided we had to have one...to taste...for gifting potential :) I usually use Zingerman's as my food gift resource, but living in the Southwest, I thought a chile-fruit pie would be something unique. And I can't very well go sending pies as a gift if I've never tasted one myself, now can I?

After some delay (the bakery really is quite small and is in the midst of converting their courier service from FedEx to UPS), the pie arrived packed in soft foam in a pizza-type box via 2nd day air. Sorry, no photos - the pie had slid slightly in its tin because the UPS man left it propped against my house - no worries, other than some cosmetic damage, the 12-inch (almost 3.5 lb) pie was in good shape. After a tasty Buffalo-Chicken salad for dinner, the pie was popped into the oven for a brief warming and was served up with a small ball of vanilla ice cream.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect - after all, I didn't know what to make of the Green-Chile Apple combination, but I will say the pie was tasty. A faint flavor of the chiles combined with the apple filling. The crust was absolutely lovely. Will I be sending them as gifts? I'm still undecided, but I'm definitely going to be enjoying my pie for the next several days :)

Other specialty flavors include Habanero Peach and Chipotle Cherry. They do regular fruit pies as well, and have quite the variety. mmmm. Pie.

No comments: