Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Happy New Year!

baby booties for baby new year!

just kidding - these were a last minute mystery gift for some friends who recently welcomed a new bundle of joy into their family

Happy New Year everyone! I hope you all had a fabulous and safe holiday :D Nothing interesting here, I spent the New Year weekend getting in some local hiking, finishing up some projects, casting on for others and gearing up to get back in shape. Yes, the perennial commitment to be at peace with the local work-out facility and to not view things like the Step Mill, recumbent bike, treadmill, ergometer and elliptical trainer as machines of torture. Interestingly enough, the machine I used to call the "Torture-tron*" seems to have become my friend - not due to my having any real affection for the thing, but more likely because I actually feel a sense of accomplishment when I finish using it. Winner for the most fun to say equipment name is the Ergometer - probably because I have some weird twisted nerdy sense of humor - not only do I have a tendency to make a noise not unlike saying "erg" when rowing, and hey, aren't weird noises always funny - but an erg is actually a unit of work/energy. (and for you real nerdy types out there, an erg is the work done by a force of one dyne acting over a distance of one centimeter - equivalent to 10^-7 joules). How's that for random useless knowledge?

*How I came to call the torture-tron just that is now a lost mystery. For the curious, this machine is an assisted chin-up/tricep dip machine....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unless you're actually a rower or have been coached, I'd strongly suggest going to concept2.com (Concept II makes ergs) to see their little animation on correct form. I do row, and it's extremely painful to watch how most people in gyms erg - the way some of them do it you could throw out your back. Plus if you ever want to up your speed or distance on the erg (there are even indoor rowing races) good form would help

Paula / http://riseagain.net/dichroic