Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Progress!

Happy Solstice Day!

While I've determined that none of the stores I visited in NYC carry Dale of Norway Hauk, and my LYS doesn't either, I've cast on for a pair of socks and I've done some spinning (see? I do listen to my readers :D) And in order to also placate those that voted for the aran sweater, I hope you'll be happy to hear that the socks involve lots and lots and lots of cabling (sorry, I'm having lighting problems and am not satisfied with the photos I've taken, so no photos of the SIP (socks in progress)). Incidentally, I've no photos of the spinning either, but then again, I never find bobbins very enticing to look at. I'm still hunting for things to ply with - I had thought of just plying with a variegated thread, but figured that might be kinda boring. I've got a pile more of the fiber to predraft and load onto my distaff and another bobbin to load - so I've got some time before I decide if I'm going to ply the singles together like I have done with my other yarns or if I'll ply them with a comercially spun thread or other yet to be obtained (hello, shopping!) goodies.

Anyhow, I'll probably be doing some online shopping around for Hauk, or I might just buy up some Heilo and call it a day and cast on for that hat. After all if water resistance is really an issue, the hat can always be Scotch-guarded or DWR treated after the fact!

No comments: