Thursday, September 23, 2004

Miscellany!


cover

Taking a break from my political reading, I've turned to....Schott's Food and Drink Miscellany! A small and rather random collection of uncommon items regarding food and drink. Just yesterday, I learned the difference between a Brimmer and a Bumper. In addition, the book conveniently tells you how to say "Cheers!" in thirty-two languages. Another interesting musing? Apparently there has been a recent addition to the four "traditional" tastes - raise a hearty welcome to Umami! Umami detects "savory sensations" and joins salt, sweet, sour and bitter. As to whether there is a Umami region of the tongue, the book remains vague.

In the Kitchen, experiments have continued to be curtailed, but I did make a lovely Lentil Stew the other night for dinner. The next weekend or two should find me prepping for a hiking trip, so non-crushable treats will be on the menu.

On the knitting front, I've about one more inch to go on the French Market Bag body before starting my decreases and the handles. A trip was made to the local yarn shop so I could carry on with my project (because none of the yarn in my stash would do!), and I am reminded that now that it is officially fall, I better get moving on my holiday gift making.

No comments: