Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Chicken Rides Again

Seems like more and more bloggers that I read have found their way into publishing - I've been reading Amy Karol's blog: Angry Chicken for a long time - she makes me aspire to actually do fabric-craft rather than simply acquire fabric ;)


Her new book: Bend the Rules with Fabric is my speed - not so much focus on the sewing, but the embellishment and personalization. The book starts out with a quick primer on design elements and color theory along with a fantastic listing and explanation of various tools or other materials you might use in your crafting adventures. After the basics are taken care of, the book moves on into the projects. As the subtitle explains, there are projects that include stamping, painting/drawing, stenciling, various methods of image transfer, dyeing and using fiber on fabric (think simple embroidery or applique). Each technique is explained using simple instructions - and my favorite part? The pros (why this method will make you happy) and cons (why this method will make you sad) for each technique are also there for you to guide you on your crafty way.

This book takes me way back to when I used to craft a lot more with fabric - and it's also introduced me to some new techniques. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can make "new" again!

Coincidentally, Amy also authored some great gift tags: Bend the Rules Gift Labels - in addition to one perfect for crafters (reading "I made this, just so you know. So don't say anything mean about it") - there are 7 others that you may find as perfect as I do including "Don't get too excited. The box is from something else." :)

No comments: