Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Mostly Dead...


I've been a big fan of Canon Cameras since I went digital years ago...and since we tend to be a bit hard on our cameras (what with all the sand and swimming around etc. etc) we tend to purchase the camera and a waterproof case for protection each time. In order to get the most use out of a case, I'll usually try to pick up some spare cameras if I notice them at a good price...

Here's my small family of Powershot A-series cameras (there was one other, but it was sent back to canon in exchange for my current point and shoot, an SD900). You're looking at one A60 and a pair of A70s. Not too long ago, I had sent in their waterproof case for replacement/repair since we had managed to scratch...of course, once I got the case back, the cameras started acting funny.

So there they sat, all by their lonesome selves, scattered across the shelves - neglected, in favor of the newer and shinier cameras...On the advice of my brother, who visited recently, I decided I'd go ahead and ping Canon customer service and see what they had to say. Of course, none of these cameras are within the normal warranty period, and I kind of figured that they might wind up telling me they aren't worth fixing...but lo, apparently there is a known issue with the ccd sensor for these cameras...and Canon is going to send me paperwork and shipping lables to send them back for repair! Here's hoping they still have CCDs on hand, and will fix them up (as alluded to in their email response) at no cost. Worst case, perhaps they can recycle the cameras for me if they aren't worth repairing.

2 comments:

Mel said...

I will be curious to see how it works out for you. I had the same issue with an A70 that I owned a few years back.

Zoomy said...

What sort of issue does the CCD have? Our A60 was nothing but trouble (as was the replacement...A520, I think), which always surprising to me, as my Canon film and my 2 DSLRs have always been fabulous.