Thursday, October 23, 2008

Blanket time?

I'm back from my whirlwind tour of the east coast. I still haven't gotten the photos off the camera yet, and it's safe to say that the day job is a wee bit hectic. I've got some new finished projects (that I even got to wear during my trip!) and I didn't leave Rhinebeck empty handed....

The crisp cool weather back East had me thinking about blankets. And a perfect complement is Kaffe Fasset's new book: Glorious Patchwork

Colorful as always, this book is full of inspiration. While I have yet to sit down and cut fabric for even a sampler (I love quilts, and I can sew, but I have a love hate relationship with the sewing process - especially the cutting of the fabric part). Should I decide to get off the couch and make use of my modest fabric stash, this book is definitely one that I can turn to - the projects seem to vary in difficulty, and the book includes information about the basics of patchwork and also includes templates for the projects included in the book.

The book is broken down into several sections: Soft Pastels, Circus, Leafy Gardens, Antique Stone, and Renaissance - each of the projects are all patchwork designs, with different fabric motifs and styles featured in each section - my favorites seemed to be Antique Stone and Renaissance, though each of the quilts in the other sections would satisfy my love of simple (and sometimes not so simple) geometric designs.

While it may take me a while to get to cutting fabric, a clever crafter could learn to adapt some of the patterns into other mediums - Mitered Squares and Log Cabins both have their backgrounds in quilting, I'm sure. So inspired was I with this book that I immediately cast on for some additional mitered squares to contribute to the very meager pile that I have already created...now if I could just stay focused I'll hopefully have a blanket to show you in the not terribly distant future!

No comments: