Friday, June 09, 2006

Lured in with luscious looks

mmm. Berries. Gorgeous, red, plump and fragrant - strawberries herald in the summer. I love to have them plain with a light dusting of sugar...or on shortcake...or in a smoothie...with a wonderful sale at the local grocery store (a pound of berries for a buck!) I thought I was in for some wondrous berry goodness over the weekend.

Unfortunately, the berries in question were masquerading as scrumptious fruit. You see...a properly ripe berry is not white in the middle - well, okay, it might have a little bit of white in the middle, but it should not just have a faint red blush on the outside when cut open - it should be red almost all the way through! *sigh* I was lured in with the wonderful price, the fragrant scent and the lovely looks. Sadly, these berries are tart, and generally lacking. And I have four pounds of them.

5 comments:

Creative Genius? said...

Four pounds huh- I could eat that in one sitting.... YUMMY!!!

Anonymous said...

It's horrible! I used to smell the strawberries to figure out if they were good. Now you can't even count on that. :( It's like they spray them with strawberry smell..

eve knits said...

try putting them in s brown paper bsg in a sunny spot. that might help to ripen them. its a little trick i use to ripen friut. good luck.

Anonymous said...

Slice those babies up and add a little sugar and a drop of vanilla...in about an hour they'll be perfect for serving over vanilla ice cream or pound cake...

I have berries too...better go see what they look like inside.

Anonymous said...

Splenda those babies up! But I know what you mean.....the rainy season just started here which means the giant red berries I had been enjoying won't return until December. I miss them so much already.