Thursday, June 22, 2006

It's Good to be Back :D

Time away to play is always welcomed with open arms, though I may have gotten more than I bargained for this last time.

In addition to seeing some marvelous Southwest Fauna (elk, deer, squirrels, chipmunks, kangaroo rats, lizards, raptors, a coyote, an antelope and a spectacular rattle snake) and some non-natives (grazing cattle of various varieties and a mess of crayfish)...not to mention some rather spectacular scenery, I had a bit of a close view of wildfire at work.


..As in perhaps a little too close for comfort...They always start small...but with the desert southwest experiencing a rather long drought, everything is ready to go up in flames if you just look at it wrong.


This is the Brins fire as of last Sunday Night - the fire has since climbed down the mountain and into side canyons, burning down Sterling Pass - which I hiked on my wedding day years ago - and on into Oak Creek Canyon. After sitting and watching the fire spread, and watching the helicopters and slurry planes at work, I think I will forever associate the drone of helicopters to fire fighting. The entire forest will be closed to access at 8am tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

YarnB said...

Wow.....those fire photos are quite scary. I have some friends in Flag and I need to drop them a line now...