Monday, October 09, 2006

Once upon a time...

I'm a little slow on the update, as Week One of Socktoberfest was supposed to be for Intros and Experiences, but what the heck. I'm not sure I have much to say for Week 2 as I'm uh...a little biased ;) because I really love my own yarns.

Anyhow, on with the intro!
* When did you start making socks? Well...I honestly don't recall when I cast on for my first pair of socks, but I finished them in December of 2005.

* Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class? I'm self taught. I think I attempted socks on dpns first, got frustrated as my dpns kept falling out - then switched to both socks on 2 circs....and kept picking up the wrong pair of points, and finally switched over to magic loop. I don't even recall what pattern I used for my first pair of socks, other than it was toe-up with a shortrow heel. A consultation with the finished objects blog indicates that the first pair were knit from the Pom Squad pattern on Magknits - the pattern was modified, of course :)

* What was your first pair? My first pair was a plain and straight forward pattern, out of an experimental yarn that never did make it to production

*How have they "held up" over time? They still look and fit fantastically - course it helps that wool sock season is fairly short where I live...so most of my handknit socks are worn for a limited time during the winter months.

* What would you have done differently? Not a thing!

* What yarns have you particularly enjoyed? Well, seeing as I've only really knit 3 pair of socks not including my Fuzzy Feet felted slippers, I can't say that I've actually *knit* with a whole lot of sock yarns - though I have plenty in the stash, not to mention the pile for my shop!

* Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method? Both socks at the same time via Magic Loop!

* Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?) short row, since I think toe-up heel flaps look strange.

* How many pairs have you made? Only three. In addition to the ones above, I knit Mizar (quite the feat...or should I say feet (heh!) for a 2nd pair of socks ;) ) and then a pair of Jaywalkers.

No comments: