Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Not just for Spinners!

Beautiful and inspirational - A Fine Fleece: Knitting with Handspun Yarns is definitely not just for spinners.

Gorgeously photographed, each project is showcased in both a handspun yarn and a millspun yarn - I can only imagine the work involved in getting the projects prepared for this book! A Fine Fleece opens with a tiny peek into the world of handspinning including some basic information about the wools used in the projects included in the book as well as some insight to the author's design and fiber prepararations. I found the information valuable and useful, especially as a self taught spinner with little training other than what I have gleaned from online forums or the few books that I have on the subject.

The patterns in the book vary in skill from intermediate beginner to experienced - many of the patterns are classic designs with basic shapes, and in many cases the projects feature interesting texturework that I seem especially drawn to. Because the author has an affinity for aran and gansey knitting, many of the patterns are gorgeously cabled or otherwise textured...and in a fair number of cases, the patterns can be adapted to suit a man or a woman. Incidentally there are also some very lovely lace patterns suitable for beginners included in the book...so I can get both my lace and texturework fixes out of the same source!

Projects featured in the book range from scarves and socks to vests, pullovers and cardigans. The Sweater patterns are typically written in 4-7 sizes with finished chest measurements ranging from 35-52. I've flagged a ridiculous number of patterns in this book for knitting (rare indeed for a knitting book!)...if only I didn't live in a desert where sweater season is so short!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to eye this one in person. Does this mean we'll be seeing more of your handspun soon? Not that I don't have a bunch sitting on its very own shelf or anything... I'm just a glutton!
Miss you!
Kiki