Tuesday, April 15, 2008

(almost) Shorn and Stunning

With temperatures well above average and flirting with 100 degrees F, I'm thinking I might be in need of a shearing myself...after all, I'm pretty sure I've got a ponytail long enough for Locks of Love!

Instead, I've been distracting myself with my review copy of Shear Spirit: Ten Fiber Farms, Twenty Patterns, and Miles of Yarn. The book is stunningly composed and photographed - and it profiles ten small fiber farms and their glorious animals. Each chapter highlights one of these farms - including information about the daily goings on, insight to the people and philosophy of each ranch as well as original patterns written by the fiber artists from the farm while using yarn made from its herd.

This book is one I'm going to enjoy reading from cover to cover...and when I'm too tired to read, I'll be happy gazing at it's gorgeous photos. Incidentally, those of you in NYC can meet the pair (who, like the Mason Dixon ladies, collaborated across the miles to create this treasure together)...and if you follow along on the Two Shear Spirits blog you might spy where they will be next. They featured a place here in Arizona...I'm hoping this means they might be back!

As for the patterns, they vary in difficulty and variety - from cardigans and pullovers to socks, hats and bags. One of the bags in the book is simply wet felted out of loose fiber - even faster than knitting ;) or spinning then knitting...and then felting! Many of the patterns are simple and do exactly what I would want them to do - they feature and highlight the beautiful yarn/fiber that they are made of. I'm looking forward to spending more time with this book and learning more about the life I one day hope to live :)

No comments: