Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Everyday Crochet


While I'm not a big fashion shopper, I have noticed that crochet-wear is making more of an appearance again - and like a true do-it-yourselfer, I'd rather have a look into the construction of garments myself and try to make a custom piece these days instead of buying off the rack.

As a self-taught hooker, I know that crochet makes for much speedier work for some styles and designs, though I've never really found or seen anything out there that has urged me to try to make something other than amigurumi softies or small accessories. I was lucky enough to receive a review copy of Everyday Crochet: Wearable Designs Just for You to see if this would jolt my creativity loose. Everyday Crochet features classic design and is loaded with photos. The patterns included have a wide variety of size variations and also provide additional information on customizing fit. The patterns feature variations of shell stitches to make a fabric with flow - and the patterns are clustered together to show how a basic pattern can be built upon and changed to result in a differernt garment. While I still prefer the look of knitting for most sweaters and tops, this book does have a couple patterns I'm eager to try including Galena, a lacy short sleeve pullover, perfect for layering...and Outta Sight - a short sleeve, slim fitting mod coat. I'm thinking it might be more suitable than the knit City Coat I was pondering yesterday :D In case you're looking for a bit more info on this book, I recommend reading the excerpt here. It's basically the intro, but it does a fantastic job letting you know what you're in for with this book.

No comments: