Friday, August 17, 2007

Knitting for All Seasons

It often seems like my knitting goes by the wayside in the summer months - and occasionally it seems like I fall into a rut as to what to knit next. With this as my dilemma, I was happy to receive a review copy of The Yarn Girls' Guide to Knits for All Seasons: Sweaters and Accessories for Men and Women. I don't actually have any of the Yarn Girls' books in my knitting library, though I have certainly heard of them.

As the title suggests, the book is arranged by season - offering patterns for apparel and accessories for the various seasons for both men and women. The models in this book all look like everyday people, rather than runway models, which is a definite plus. The patterns appear straight forward and easy to follow, and likely are suitable for beginning to intermediate level knitters. Sizes are listed ranging from XS to L, and finished measurements are provided to help guide you to the correct finished size. For the sweaters, I would have preferred that an actual chest measurement be provided, rather than "width" (which must be doubled and compared to ones chest measurement to determine appropriate size). Based on the photos, a lot of the womens garments appear to have very little ease - with this said, the largest womens size usually has a 40-inch chest measurement (though some are smaller).

The sweaters and accessories are simple and classic in design, and I will likely use them as jumping off points for various projects (I never seem to knit a pattern exactly as written for one reason or another - but that's one of the things that I love about knitting!) - I've already got several of them earmarked for the knitting queue! If you haven't already had a peek at this book, it's definitely worth having a look.

No comments: