Monday, November 17, 2008

Taking me back...

Various things trigger memories - I didn't expect it from a cookbook - but what a delightful surprise, to find myself reminiscing about trips to Spain while flipping through my new copy of Made in Spain. Since I am a food-tv junkie but don't have cable, I have to satisfy myself with programs available via my local PBS station - Made in Spain is one of those programs that I've enjoyed watching.

The book is arranged by food "courses" and region parings - starting in the very south of Spain, in Andalucia (and Salads), wending its way through and around the country, each chapter is introduced with a brief personal story from the author and chef, Jose Andres. In case you're wondering, the other pairings/chapters are as follows: Madrid (Soups), Pais Vasco (Snacks), Navarra (Vegetables), Cantabria and Extremadura (Cheese and Eggs (a perfect pairing, if I do say so myself)), Valencia (Rice), Murcia (Fish), Galicia (Seafood), Cataluna and Castilla y Leon (Pork), Aragon (Other Meats), Asturias and Castilla La Mancha (Sweets), La Rioja and Baleares (Drinks) and Canarias (Sauces).

In addition to the clear instructions and ingredients, most recipes are accompanied by an enticing photograph of the finished product. Along side the recipes, is typically a tip from the chef in addition to a little back-story on the recipe. While some of the ingredients may be difficult to find locally, there are some merchants listed in the back to assist you in your search.

The recipes in the book are simple and straightforward in execution and there's a wide variety to satisfy both conservative and adventurous eaters alike. If you've never tried Spanish food before, this book has a great variety to choose from. I'll even make it easy for you ;) Leave me a comment (and make sure there's a way to contact you should you win) before Sunday November 30th, and I'll use the ol random number generator to select a new lucky owner. US only please, unfortunately international postage on a heavy book like this one is a bit much.

7 comments:

Llamabean said...

That books looks wonderful! I will keep an eye on your blog too. Even if I don't win your contest, I will definitely be checking out this book, yum, I love Spain,such wonderful food.

kasiaiscarly said...

I saw you post on Knit.Hook.Cook and I love Spanish food, so I had to stop by to enter :)

cayli said...

The cover made my mouth water! Spanish food is something I have not made but in reading about it I think I am missing out.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the contest! I've been into Spanish food since a trip to Madrid last year.

fleurdog@gmail.com

Northside Knitter said...

I usually think of paella when thinking about Spanish food. Your description of the different items featured makes me want to explore this cuisine further. Thanks for offering the contest.

Ravelry ID: NorthsideKnitter

AmyLisa said...

It's awfully nice of you to do this contest. I read your posting in Knit.Hook.Crochet you can find me through Ravelry as amylisai. Thanks for the contest!

Unknown said...

Saw your post on Ravelry and wanted to enter! I love Spanish food. Muy delicioso!