Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Have Tube....

...will knit?

I got this cool mailing tube from a (currently) bloggless friend (hi J-Dub!) and it is the perfect size for storing a spindle and a whole whack of fiber - of course, a cardboard mailing tube is not so fun to look at, so I've been thinking of knitting a cover, felting it to size, adding a strap or two and (in theory anyway) voila! A tubular purse or a convenient non-crushable case for a spindle!

Of course, this is just some grand idea that I've been bouncing around in my mind - I've been thinking of doing perhaps some mosaic knitting or fair isle, or perhaps even grabbing some random bits of handspun to knit this bag up - but I'm having difficulty figuring out how to start - I was thinking of knitting a round base (course I haven't quite figured out how to do that other than to perhaps try to copy the start of the kitty pi bed) and then just knitting up the sides until it's taller than I need so it can be felted good and proper...oh the possibilities :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you follow a pattern similar for a yoga mat bag? I think there are plenty of those out on the web.

Anonymous said...

I have a pattern for a felted wine cozy at For the Love of Yarn - here's the link. It's pretty simple - I just made it up as I went. You could start with that, make it a bit bigger to fit your tube, and add straps.